7.9.06


Naive, me?

I haven't bought any fabrics during Summer, because I simply couldn't afford it (=to go shopping on the internet). I'm not very sad about this though, I think it makes me very creative to use what I have (the only negative thing is that I cannot sleep at night with all those ideas bubbling in my head). The fabrics I bought last year for a project I didn't have time to start can look much better somewhere else combined with a fabric I didn't even remember I had lying around. I have this strange relationship with fabric, I often get stomach ache when I see new fabric lines, but I also pity the poor leftovers that end up in the sale department... And I would like to think there isn't any fabric that wouldn't look good somewhere (I DO have a few pieces I think I will never like). I remeber how I always had to play with the ugliest doll when I was little, because I was feeling sorry for it. So I always give the cheapest ones a chance. For example I think I paid 2,98 $/yard for all the fabrics in this. Not too bad. And I love getting fabric someone else chose for me, it is so inpiring and challenging. I am waiting for three swaps, I hope they will arrive next week and I can't wait to create something of the goodies I will get, if I dare to cut in them...

I would like to have a blog I can be proud of so I am making this logo for it, but it may take a while to get it ready because I want to make something that I really like and that I can bring with me when I go to craft fairs. The picture gives a hint of what I'm making. The one with glasses is me, my daughter drew the portrait a few days before she turned four and I turned it into a redwork embroidery last night, cute isn't it?

4 comments:

ruby-crowned kinglette said...

i love the portrait of you! looks like you will be very proud of the banner if what i can see is any indication..

Anonymous said...

Both of these look wonderful. You are so good at hand stitching! Your daughter is a good artist too- my boys do major scribbles and that's it. I'm excited to see the new banner.

Anonymous said...

beautiful stitching!
I can totally relate to feeling pity for fabrics, dolls or anything else 'on sale'. I remember feeling sorry for the teddy bears just left at the bottom of the toybox. Sometimes I find it too sad to go second-hand shopping, for the sad dolls I might find dumped there!
It was lovely to read this post. Can't wait to see the new banner :)

Redwork in Germany said...

Can't wait to see the finished banner. The Redwork of your daughter's picture is just too cute...