3.9.08

Kitschy flowers and houses in line


I was going to talk about my trip to Åland, but I think I'll just refer you to the photos I have uploaded on flickr. It was a great weekend, lots of work, lots of wonderful people and lots of inspiration. There is nothing like the rush of a new idea and that is what I want to talk about today! My studio is a mess, but what can you do... I went to the thrift store yesterday to find some new materials and spotted a plastic bag with those (horrible) flower wreaths that you put around candles, please tell me what they are called in English! They used them in a project in this book and I thought it was a brilliant idea.

I have been asked to make more mobiles so this is what I came up with (more pics on flickr). The pastels of the flowers gave this shabby kitschy look. I think it turned out pretty fun and I liked working in another colour scheme for a change (I will make bright mobiles too, as soon as I can get my hands on some brighter flowers!). The birds have a layer of steady batting inside, the outlines are sewn with a lot of black thread. I added some beads, bells and buttons too!


This is the project I was working on on the ferry that I promised to show off. I needed something small to sell at the fair next weekend so I came up with these house brooches. The fair is at an outdoor museum so I think these will go nicely with the old miljeu. I used felt scraps that I bought from a lady selling felt slippers at the Christmas fair last year. The windows are made from reflective tape so these are meant to be worn on your bag or coat.

I will not put these in the shop until the two next fairs are over, but you are welcome to reserve one if you think you would need one :) The price is 10 Euros/14,50 USD (+ 22% VAT if you're in the EU), just drop me a line and tell me which one you would like! Click on the picture if you want a better view!

I can't believe it, but Summer seems to be over here. It is rainy and far too cold for this time of year :( The kids were wearing gloves at Kindergarten yesterday! To celebrate this unhappy occasion I am having a little sale on Summer items in my shop!

The window quilt came back home from the exhibition and is now listed in the shop. It is hanging right above my head as I'm writing :)
Thanks for listening! I have been talking so much about me and my projects lately that I think it will be time to give something away in next post. But I talk more about that next week!

Happy sewing (or crocheting, or whatever YOU enjoy doing)!

21 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

Love all the new ideas and work!!

Unknown said...

those horrible wreath things are called just that in english ;)
How on earth can you turn them into something so pretty? You clever little sausage.

Locket Pocket said...

It all looks beautiful! And I love that house fabric in the top photo!

Lucy x

Kaja said...

Which one of the houses I like?? All of them! I know just where to put them all... Just have to figure out how to raise the money without having to fead my children oat meal porridge for the rest of the month. *LOL*

Anina said...

We love hearing about you and your projects. They're all so lovely!

Unknown said...

I just love the little house brooches!

Di said...

It looks like it was a wonderful trip and I love all the new things!!

painted fish studio said...

yay! i love the mobiles and brooches... your work jumps so easily to other "mediums". i wish you lots of sales at the upcoming fairs!

Pina said...

But we like reading about you and your work! Very lovely. :)

Mrs Moog said...

So many beautiful things Kajsa!! I love your bird mobile and the little house brooches are gorgeous!

I agree with Katy...they are just called 'those horrible wreath things'! Much better when combined with your lovely birds :)

xxx

periwinkle said...

those wreath things are horrible , i would never have thought of turning them into something so nice.

Karen said...

this is all such lovely work, you have been so productive!

Irene said...

First of all, I love your trees.Second, I enjoyed looking at your quilt curtain and computer nook. Third, do you know that "syko" is a "fig" in Greek? Maybe you can try your hand on that direction, too!
Lovely meeting you.

Apryl said...

love all the new things.. those little house brooches look fantastic lined up like that.. like a perfect little village street with lots of cozy little homes. good luck with your upcommng fairs!

Amanda Jean said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the row of houses! so so so cute!!!

Jill said...

I love the little houses all in a row, and the bird mobile is fantastic! I love that you made something beautiful from some scraps and horrible flowers. :)

Ruth's Place said...

Always love seeing your new ideas. I'd never have thought to put those ugly wreath things to such good use either...

KR said...

You have such inspired ideas! I love your work! :)

Kristin
Reclaiming The Home

saraeden said...

Your little houses are very cute and
i am amazed that you can do anything so pretty with the flower wreaths !!

Dorie said...

your window quilt is great!

tiel said...

i love that quilt over the window so much. makes me want to sew today!! I'd love for you to come to Australia and make some curtains for Milena's bedroom